Thursday, May 10, 2012

day & hours before the little man

Now that the little man has been introduced I will enlighten/explain the events leading up to his arrival....I promise not to go into any gross details that no one really wants to hear about.  I will also apologize for the amount of wordiness there is.  There really is no short way to explain the events leading up to giving birth.  I promise to do some picture heavy posts to counter balance ALL of these words!!

Thursday - 4/5/2012

I had a doctors appointment that morning and the dr. checked my progress, the week before I was 1-2 cm and 50%, and I was 2-3 cm and 90%.  I happened to mention to her that it would work out best for the Man and I if we happened to have this baby either that night or sometime on Friday.  She asked if I wanted my membranes scrapped....I said sure not really knowing what that would do but she said that it would increase the chances of contractions starting and going into labor...again my goal was to have a baby before Easter so I was all for it.  Well after my appt. I wasn't feeling the best so I decided to just work from home and take it easy.  The Man and I had made plans earlier in the week to go to a movie for our anniversary since we didn't get to do anything on our actual anniversary.  Well instead of going to the movie we decided we should clean up our house and try to get a little more prepared for the baby since we were in the single digits.  After a couple hours of cleaning we went to bed, which didn't last very long for me...a whole 30 min to be exact.

Friday - 4/6/2012

Its now around midnight or 12:30.  Seeing as I only read the first 6 chapters of the pregnancy book (which only got me through the 2nd trimester) I really had no idea as to how to know when I was actually in labor or even having contractions.  Since I couldn't sleep because of the pains I was experiencing I spent the next 2 hours googling how to know if your in labor and what contractions feel like before I finally decided that I thought I was having contractions and should wake Josiah up.  He got up and we spent the next 2 hours still googling and timing contractions.  Still not really sure as to when we should go to the hospital...this made us google more.  If you haven't figured it out we really had NO idea as to what we were doing!  After googling and still being unsure we had a brilliant idea to call labor & delivery.  Thankfully they told us to come on into the hospital.  By the time we got dressed and gathered everything we needed we made it to the hospital around 5 a.m. At this time I was at 4...so progress was made from my doctors appointment a little over 12 hours earlier!!!  They decided that I could stay :)  By the time I got to the room I would deliver the baby in it was about 6:00 - 6:30.  At about 8 a.m. I decided that I wanted to get my epidural, .not really sure why I decided not to get it right away at 6:30 when they asked me the first time but better late than never. The epidural was amazing...it turned me into a happy person that was excited about having a baby instead of the person that just wanted to get this baby out of me that very second!

Around this time the nurse came in and told me that I had to lay on my side because the baby's heart rate kept going lower than they wanted and that this should bring it back up.  Which it did for awhile, then it would go low again and the nurse would come in and rotate me to my other side.  If I didn't feel like a beached whale before I did at those times,  it took 2 people to turn me since I no longer had feeling in my legs.  After a few hours of watching the game show network and many times being rotated the baby's heart rate went really low and wasn't coming back up.  Within a very short amount of time there were what seemed to be 100 people in my room, it was probably closer to 10.  They decided that they were going to do an emergency c-section.  So all the machines were unhooked and I was wheeled down the hall where about 10 more people waited for me.  Mind you all of this happened in about 5 minutes, so I really don't know what was going through my mind.  Josiah on the other hand was FREAKING OUT!  Once they hooked up the machines again they found that the baby's heart rate went back up.  So they checked me again and I was at 9...so close to being able to push!!  The doctors decided to give me & the baby a second chance to do this the "natural" way but if the baby's heart rate went down again they were going to have to do a c-section. When I got back into the room Josiah told me that this baby was already giving him grey hair!  

A couple of hours later, I think!  Keeping track of time wasn't my main priority, I just know it was around 5 p.m. I was talking to Josiah and told him that I felt like it was time to push and literally within 5 minutes the doctor and nurse came in to tell me it was time.  So they got everything ready to have the baby.  6 pushes and about 15 minutes later our sweet baby boy was welcomed into the world!!


I know I left out a lot of details because it has taken me about 3 weeks to finish writing this but a good majority of the events made it in this post.  




   

1 comment:

  1. Okay...we had some serious similarities in our births! SO glad you didn't have to have a c-section! YAY for healthy babies and ONLY 6 pushes;)

    ReplyDelete