Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Godparents

Because the Man and I decided to raise Jackson Catholic, which is what I am, we had the big task of choosing who we wanted to Jackson's godparents.  The Man doesn't have godparents and didn't really know what the purpose was for having them.  So like normal we Googled it...I have my own definition as to the purpose of godparents but we thought we should find the "official" reasoning.

Here is what the all truth telling Wikipedia told us: Traditionally, godparents were informally responsible for ensuring the child's religious education was carried out, and for caring for the child should he/she be orphaned. Today, the word godparent might not have explicitly religious overtones. The modern view of a godparent tends to be an individual chosen by the parents to take an interest in the child's upbringing and personal development.

Now here is my thoughts on godparents...it's similar to Wikipedia's: I think parents should choose people that they feel will help their child grow in ways that they might not be able to fulfill.  I do believe that they should help with the religious aspect.  I also think that godparents are their to help teach your child life lessons and to help them grow and become knowledgeable adults.  

With this in mind there immediately were a few people that came to mind who would be amazing godparents.  Traditionally and religiously you only have 2 godparents, a godmother & a godfather.  Sorry if everybody knows this stuff!  The Man and I debated for probably a good 6 months whether or not to have 2 or 4 godparents.  In the end we decided on 4 :)

The 4 people we choose are my sister Nicki, our friend Megan, my cousin Andy and our friend Kyle.  All 4 of these people bring something different to the table. None of these people are perfect...sorry guys!  But they all have had different experiences, attitudes and thoughts.  The Man and I our sure they will help Jackson grow into a very well-rounded adult.    

Thanks to Nicki, Megan, Andy & Kyle for agreeing to be such a big part of Jackson's life!  We can't wait to have his baptism when we are back in Wisconsin in August.

We are very lucky to have so many amazing people in our lives that will help us raise Jackson...even if its from miles and miles away!      

1 comment:

  1. Again, thrilled to the moon and back for this honor!! Cannot wait to share all my knowledge with the little guy:)-Megan-

    ReplyDelete