Friday, April 26, 2013

Love & Hate of Social Media

Social media and I have a love/hate relationship.  I love the fact that I can share things going on in our lives and pictures of our family instantly with our friends and family that live no where near us. But I absolutely hate all the games, spamming and so on that happens on social media. I also can't stand the constant changes in privacy settings...I want my stuff to be private and I only want the people I want to see it.

Ok well what brought this whole post on is that I have been getting really fed up with Instagram lately. Don't get me wrong I love Instagram but it seems that since they sold to Facebook there has been more problems. Half the time my pictures won't load or my news feed won't refresh. I also hate that now when I log on to Facebook I get to look at the same Instagram pictures I just saw in Instagram...it floods my newsfeed with stuff I have already seen. I completely get that putting it on Facebook allows people without Instagram to see your pictures but I still don't have to like it. I also have the same problem with Pintrest...seriously people I really don't need to see every single thing you pin and if I wanted to I would follow you on Pinterest.

So after all of that I have been thinking about switching from Instagram to Flickr. You can follow people just the same but you have the ability to share pictures with certain people that you want to. You can look at the pictures on your phone or you can use your computer. I was also able to upload all of my Instagram pictures & captions to it. And then you can order prints and stuff directly from them. I just signed up for Flickr the other day so I really don't know 100% if I am going to like this better and I am not 100% sure I am ready to give up Instagram but let me know if you are on Flickr so I can follow you.

I apologize if my rant offends any of you, that was not my intention. I am just fed up with the way social media has started to control our lives. If I lived closer to our family I would probably delete my Facebook account...at least until I felt it wasn't something I wasted way too much time on there.

3 comments:

  1. I've noticed A LOT of people sharing pictures and things on Facebook lately that would be more appropriate for Pinterest in my mind(mostly recipes), and I find myself wondering when that started. Seems like every social media site is trying to become more like the other these days. I'm not on Flickr, but hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I TOTALLY agree Wendy! I love love love Instagram but all the spam there is ridiculous since FB took it over. It's becoming a hassle and I hate that cause I loved it so much in the beginning! And the doubles of everything from Pinterest and IG on FB is beyond annoying:/ I've considered deleting my FB account a million times but worry about the people that live away from us too...it's a great connection to them but I'm sick of FB also!!!:/

    ReplyDelete
  3. On a side note, I think for pictures from Instagram to show up on Facebook, the person who took the picture has to choose to share it on Facebook (or at least I do) when they post it on Instagram. So, I don't know if that's so much social media as it is people wanting to share their pictures in multiple places. You kind of alluded to that in your post, but was just thinking out loud. ;)

    ReplyDelete