Saturday, January 25, 2014

How do you know?!?

Here I am sitting on the couch, blogging and watching tv when I should be doing some things around the house, like dishes and laundry, since both kids are in bed for the night. Maybe after this post I will go do those things...now onto the actual post instead of random rambling.

My maternity leave is coming to an end soon, two weeks from Monday....seriously where have the past 10 weeks gone! With me having to go back to work soon the man and I had to start getting serious about what we were going to do for child care. If you didn't know before now we never had any child care; I work 1st shift, the man works 2nd shift and would take almost all online classes for school. I would go to work and then make sure I was home in time for him to leave and then the one day a week he usually had to actually go to a class I would work from home that day. We didn't get that lucky this school semster with our schedules. The class the man needed to take at the actual college is only offered in the middle of the day and is two days a week. On top of that, the man's 2nd shift job is suppose to be moving to 1st shift sometime in 2014....we have no idea when but they tell us it's going to happen.

With that being said we needed a new plan. Either I needed to become a stay-at-home mom or we needed to find daycare. I would say 90% of the time I really like my job and it has a lot of really great benefits. So quiting just didn't seem like the best option for us at the moment. Which left us with finding daycare.

I really don't know how people do it. I mean it is one thing to have to find daycare in the town you grew up in or next to where you have a lot of connections...you have people you know and trust to recomend a good daycare provider or babysitter to leave your kids with. I wish we had that situation but we don't. Instead we know very few people where we are at and have to trust our instincts.

Because I only work 32 hours a week and the man is still on 2nd shift we decided it would be more cost efficent to hire an in-home nanny or someone that does daycare out of their house. The first thing we did was sign up for care.com. They are a website that you can post babysitting jobs you need someone for or browse nannies/caregivers in the area and look at their profiles. At first we just looked at various profiles and even sent a few of them messages to see if they would be insterested in meeting with us for an interview....that turned up very unsuccessful. So we posted a job and ended up having around 20 different applicants. How do you choose who you want to meet with based off of what they said when they applied and reading their profile?!?! We found 4 people that we felt would be the best canidates to interview. So far we have met with 2 of them and Sunday we are meeting with the other 2.

Now really how does a person put so much trust in a complete stranger!?! I find my self asking this question over and over and yet I'm not sure what the answer is. I just hope that our gut insticts are correct and we choose the right person. If any of you have any secrets has to how you knew who the right person was to look after your kids please let me know!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment