Friday, January 24, 2014

Leading up to meeting Jorie!

Since I'm finally getting back into the swing of blogging and I have introduced Jorie to everyone even though I'm sure you all already knew who she was it's time to get into the events leading to welcoming sweet baby Jorie into the world.

The Man and I decided once again that it was a really good idea to move when I was very very pregnant. At least this time it wasn't across the country and was just 15 miles. In case you weren't aware my job allows you to go on maternity leave two weeks prior to your due date...awesome! I started maternity leave October 30th and actually I had 2 floating holidays to use up before the end of the year so I took those the 2 days before and which meant I was pretty much done working the Friday before. I really don't know what I would have done if I would have had to work those two weeks....our house was all sorts of crazy.

November 1st my Dad and the Man's dad flew into help us move the next day. Moving day was one of the longest days of life...I was 38 weeks pregnant and not much help other than telling everyone what to do and they all did what I asked. Our moving crew was only here for a very short trip, they flew in very late Friday night and flew back Monday morning. In the short time they were here we managed to move our entire apartment and even unpack and set up the kitchen, Jackson's room, Jorie's room and the living room. Like I said I worked these guys pretty hard and they were all troopers about it....I owe them a HUGE thank you because I don't know how we would have done the move without them.

After they left the Man's mom flew out a couple days later...that Thursday to be exact. She volunteered her time from the 7th thru the 18th. This was huge for the Man and I. Before she decided to come out for that time frame we were deciding which would be the worst of two evils: Jackson in the delivery room with us or the Man not there at all. The only problem with flying your daycare in from another state to watch your son when you go into labor is that you really don't know when you will go into labor. Knowing this I talked with my OB doctor and basically told him that I HAD to have this baby by the 16th because else I wouldn't be out of the hospital before my daycare left. At my 39 week appointment he said we could be induced if I hadn't gone into labor before my due date, November 13th. This was music to my ears, not that I wanted to be induced but I really wanted the Man to be there for the birth of the baby and I didn't feel like having a toddler sitting in the bed with me screaming Momma, Momma while giving birth. While my MIL was out here and we were waiting on Jorie's arrival, she was awesome and unpacked every box we let her and cooked all our meals and let me nap when Jackson wasn't....it was fantastic!!

Then November 13th came and we still had no baby or no sign of her arriving anytime soon. So I called labor and delivery as instructed at 8 a.m. I was told that they were full at the moment but would give me a call back later when they were ready for me to come in and be induced. I'm sorry but that waiting game was dumb...it took FOREVER for these people to call and I actually ended up calling them back before they called me. Since the man works 2nd shift we didn't know if he should go into work or not since we didn't know when we would get the call. About an hour before he needed to leave for work I called back to see what the deal was, they assured me that I was going to be going in that day yet but probably not till after 8 p.m. Now more decisions needed to be made, does the man go into work for a few hours or does he start his week of paternity leave already. He decided not to go in and to just get some more unpacking and organizing done around the house. Labor and delivery didn't end up calling us until 9 p.m.

We got to the hospital around 10 p.m. and they started everything...turns out I was already having contractions and just didn't know it :) I already knew I was going to get an epidural, I did with Jackson and it was amazing. With Jackson it took a really long time to get the feeling back in my legs and to be able to walk. So I decided I would wait a little bit before getting it instead of getting it right away. Around 10 or 11 a.m. on the 14th I decided to get the epideral. It took forever to get the epideral....I guess lifting a toddler everyday works your back muscles and that made it extremely difficult to get the needle in the right spot. I believe the Man said they stuck it in 5 different spots before getting the right one. Once that was finally taken care of I was again a happy laboring lady. The man and I continued to watch Game Show Network...its what we do when in labor. I should go back a little and say that Jorie was being quite difficult, the nurse would put the heart rate monitor on her and as soon as the nurse would let go she would move. If the nurse stood there and held it she would stay but everytime she left go she would move off the monitor. Other than that things seemed to be going well.

Around 2 I told the Man that it was going to be time to push soon. We called the nurse and the mid-wife and they asked if I was ready then and I wasn't sure anymore so they left and agreed that it wouldn't be long. An hour later they came back and Jorie still wasn't as far down as she should have so the nurse just asked me to push on the next contraction just to see if I could even move her....when I did that the nurse could see her head....I guess Jorie would come far enough down when I had a contraction but then would go back up some when they were over. They got the room ready and then it was time to have a baby. I pushed 2 maybe 3 times and Jorie was here!!! Jorie's umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck twice which was scary at first but turned out to be fine once they got it unwrapped. She also managed to tie a true knot in her cord, like a figure 8 sailors knot. The midwife said she had never seen that done before and that it was also the longest umbilical cord she had ever seen. They even asked if they could keep it to show students, since it was a learning hospital. I guess the more active the baby is in the womb the longer the umbilical cord.

We were discharged from the hospital Friday night. We had to stay for at least 24 hours but ended being there a few extra hours because we didn't have any evidence that Jorie had a wet diaper. The Man finally took her diaper off and put warm water on her hand to get her to pee so we could finally go home.


I am sure I missed a lot of the details about what all was going on right before Jorie was born but this is a pretty long and wordy post. I will end with letting you all know that I was told by the midwife that delivered Jorie and my nurse that I should have more kids because I am a rockstar at giving birth. When the nurse moved me to the recovery room from the delivery room she was told they needed her because a women just came in that was in labor; she told us that there's no way she is going to be as good at giving birth as me....the man and I just laughed....now thinking about it I really hope that lady didn't have a difficult labor!


No comments:

Post a Comment